In this page you find recommendations about what to do before you go.
Recommendations what to do before you travel to Japan:
- if you live abroad definately buy the Japan Rail Pass, it’s is a bargain for what you get, at the website Hyperdia you can check the costs of train tickets and compare the total amount with the amout for a one, two or three weeks Japan Rail Pass.
- transport is very easy, convenient and frequent so choose a few cities where you stay at a hotel, e.g. Kyoto, Tokyo and make days trips to nearby cities, e.g. Nara, Hakone.
- dress in layers, in the trains and metro it’s very warm, 23 degrees celcius plus, so it is nice if you can easily put one layer off
- if you are used to a (semi-) soft bed, take a therm-a-rest mat with you for some more comfort on the futons which you find in the Japanese style rooms
- if you want to travel to Japan in the fall color season (oktober / november) definately, make reservation for hotel or ryokans 2 months before arriving in Japan.